Hosting a virtual birthday party while in quarantine is a real thing. In today’s day and age, social distancing is causing a lot of uncertainty in pretty much every aspect of our lives. Never in my life did I think I would ever blog about this topic, you know? However, it was recently my nephews birthday and it got me thinking about how we would be able to celebrate together…but apart. Consider this it’s your birthday, so naturally you planned on spending the day with friends and family celebrating the day you came into this world, right? Only now, you are suppose to stay in your home and avoid large gatherings of people. How do we get around this? Social distancing has caused a lot of us to rethink where we spend our time and who we spend our time with.
Although this is in the forefront of most peoples’ minds, it does not need to hinder our ability to still enjoy birthday parties and celebrating with friends and family. It will just take a bit of thinking outside the box (as if a virtual birthday party while in quarantine is not cool enough!) Surprisingly, there are actually numerous ways you can do this and still keep it fun and exciting for everyone.
The Quarantine Plan
Just as you would with an in-person birthday party, there are certain factors you need for virtual birthday parties while in quarantine. One of those factors is a a guest list. However, you need to consider each guests technological strengths and weaknesses. Your great-aunt Millie may have difficulty navigating the web to join your party without help. You could arrange to have a member currently in her home to help or maybe you could walk her through it over the phone. This is just something to keep in mind when making your guest list.
After you have your guest list, it’s time to send out the invites. This can be accomplished with a group email or group text. Another way you can do this is through the social gathering app you select to use. Most of these apps have a feature that will allow you to send invites to the people you want to allow access to your group. Now, it’s time to pick a platform for your party.
Pick a Birthday Platform
It’s important to pick a platform that is easy to use and readily accessible to all of your guests on your list (and not to mention free). There are numerous group-calling apps available. Simply doing a Google search will bring up a ton for you to explore. Here are a few that are pretty user friendly and, in most cases, are free to use.
- Facebook Group Video Chat – start a Facebook group video chat and invite up to six guests. This is done through Messenger. Then you can “go live” with your guests and as long as you’ve accepted the setting to allow group members to “go live” as well, you can all see and talk to each other. Now this doesn’t mean you can only have six guests. You can invite up to 50 people who can join to listen, via voice or be on camera however you will only be able to see the first six guests.
- Zoom – With Zoom you can host a virtual meeting. There are numerous price plans to choose from. However, there is a free plan. The free plan allows you to host up to 100 participants for up to 40 minutes at a time absolutely free.
- Skype Group Video Calling – Skype video chat app allows for group calls up to 50 people for free on just about any mobile device, tablet or computer. Just download the app and get started for free.
Time to Leave the House – Virtual Trips
Now, it’s up to you how you want to spend your birthday. It’s your party after all. With video chat you can still enjoy the moment when your guests sing happy birthday to you and watch you blow out your candles. You can merely group video chat with your guests and celebrate that way, or you can all leave your houses virtually. There are a number of free and pretty cool places you can all travel to together. Here are some ideas:
- Museum Tours – many of the World’s most prestigious museums now offer free virtual tours. Imagine walking through the Sistine Chapel, the Louvre or even the Smithsonian with your party guests and exploring these treasures together.
- Zoo / Wildlife – Who doesn’t love animals? Celebrate your birthday by taking a virtual tour and seeing some amazing wildlife. Meet up in the penguin exhibit or explore the Tiger enclosure together.
- Parks & Landmarks – head over to parks and landmarks all over the world and experience all the beauty it has to offer. Maybe a leisurely stroll across the Great Wall of China or experiencing the wonders of the Grand Canyon is on your party list? It’s your day, go crazy.
- Opera – maybe a night at the Opera is more your birthday speed. Some of the opera houses have free live streams every day as well as previous streams available to watch online. Pick an opera and enjoy the magnificence of sound and music together.
It’s Your Birthday Party
Don’t let social distancing be a cause for lack of celebration on your big day. Using alternative methods and technology to bring people together can still create long, lasting memories and make you feel special on your birthday. Honestly, having a virtual birthday party while in quarantine will probably be one of the most unique events you remember most. Take advantage of the time you have and the technology available to have a fun and exciting birthday.
Interested in learning what essentials you need while quarantined? Better yet, want to learn DIY hacks you can use to drastically cut your cost for these essential items? Check out my list of quarantine essentials here and start saving some big bucks!