Trust me, I get it. You’ve been grinding all week at work, the kids have been running you into the ground, the laundry is piling up and no amount of hours in the day seems to be enough for everything you need to get done! The only thing that can rectify this situation is a night out with the girls! Getting together with your closest girlfriends and unloading whatever has been weighing you down.
There’s only one problem…COVID-19. ‘Rona is a biiiish and has literally interrupted everyone’s regularly scheduled programs. Am I right? I mean, I’m not wrong. Businesses are closed or have reduced their hours, social gatherings are limited to a certain number of people and everyone is social distancing. Personally, it’s a lot for me to take in. I’ve been using these affirmations to help me with my anxiety.
Now, I am not saying that these things are unnecessary or overkill. The precautions that are in place are essential to helping our country recover from this pandemic. What I am saying is that it has really put a damper on my girls nights out and this mama is in need of a stiff drink and gossip session with her girls.
Reluctant to venture out into public to satisfy my selfish need and hesitant to give up hanging with my girls, I have found a temporary, yet sufficient alternative…virtual girls night! You may have read my blog about virtual birthday parties for all ages, if not you can check it out here. However, it got me thinking. If I can throw my kid a virtual birthday party and have 10 of his closest friends participate, why couldn’t this work for my girls nights? Short answer is, it can!
Here are a few virtual girls nights that I have put to the test along with a few more that I am looking forward to having in the coming weeks. Now, let me add this disclaimer. I cannot and will not be held responsible for anyone who takes these ideas and determines that virtual girls nights should happen every night of the week. (that actually sounds pretty amazing!) I don’t want to open my inbox to messages from distraught husbands and neglected children scolding me for their drunk mama whose been busy virtually getting lit with the girls all week long and are now hungry and out of socks. I just can’t. Let’s get into it.
First, you need a platform. It’s important to pick a platform that is easy to use and readily accessible to all of your girls (and not to mention free). There are numerous group-calling apps available. Simply doing a Google search will bring up a ton for you to explore. Here are a few that are pretty user friendly and, in most cases, are free to use.
- Facebook Group Video Chat – start a Facebook group video chat and invite up to six of your gal pals. This is done through Messenger. Then you can “go live” with your girls and as long as you’ve accepted the setting to allow group members to “go live” as well, you can all see and talk to each other. Now this doesn’t mean you can only have six of your best girlfriends be a part of virtual girls night. You can invite up to 50 friends who can join to listen, via voice or be on camera however you will only be able to see the first six friends.
- Zoom – With Zoom you can host a virtual meeting. There are numerous price plans to choose from. However, there is a free plan. The free plan allows you to host up to 100 of your friends for up to 40 minutes at a time absolutely free.
- Skype Group Video Calling – Skype video chat app allows for group calls up to 50 people for free on just about any mobile device, tablet or computer. Just download the app and get started for free.
- Dinner and Drinks: This is just like it sounds. Grab your dinner plate and beverage of your choice, load up your Zoom call with the girls and get to gabbing. This is what my girls and I did for our first virtual girls night. It was simple, it was fun. We laughed, we cried, we drank ourselves silly.
- Sassy Spa Day: So what we did was everyone got mimosas, face masks, nail polish, hair treatments, etc and we had a spa day together. With most salons being closed or booked-up due to limited availability, we had fun pampering ourselves while we chit chatted. Heck, I even whipped out my tweezers and plucked my eyebrows while chatting it up with my girls. Not only did we have fun but we ended the call feeling (and looking) better than when it started.
- Book Club: I miss my weekly book club meetings. Talking about the characters in the book or how we think the plot twist will come about are all highlights of book club night. Thanks to virtual face-to-face calls I still get to enjoy book club with my girls.
- Heads Up: Ok, I love a good game of Heads Up as much as the next gal, but virtually takes it to another level. If you’ve never heard of this game, you can download it onto your phone. The person who is holding the word up to their forehead will need to close their eyes or make sure they cannot see themselves on the virtual call. I don’t know why this was so much more fun playing virtually, but it was. Oh, maybe it was the shots we took for every wrong answer? 😉
- Baking Fun: You guessed it! Everyone decides on a recipe to make. The catch is, there has to be a video of the recipe being made. One person will watch the video with the sound off while trying to explain to the group how to make the recipe. They can either choose to make it along with everyone or just sit back and laugh as the other girls try to follow the directions give. Once the final product is made, everyone compares their masterpiece. This can also be done with a craft project, sewing project, etc. The sky’s the limit.
At the End of the Day
It doesn’t matter what activity you do on your virtual girls night. The point is to have fun socializing with your girls. Some of our best girls nights have just been sitting on a Zoom call together, drinking some cocktails and dishing about our lives. Incorporating social distancing doesn’t need to put a damper on your social life, it just gives you an opportunity to think outside of the box.
I hope you enjoyed these virtual girls night out ideas. Let me know in the comments below if you tried any of theses ideas out and how they worked out for you and your girls. Till next time!